Retail Operations Manager
Company: Goodwill Southern California
Posted on: May 9, 2022
Goodwill Southern California (GSC) prepares and places thousands
of individuals into sustainable employment through programs and
services throughout Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino
counties. As one of the leading non-profit brands in the world, and
the largest non-profit in Southern California, we have been
transforming lives through the power of work for over 100 years.
Goodwill Southern California supports its mission with proceeds
generated from over 78 retail stores and over 44 attended donation
centers, as well as from charitable donations and grants from the
public and private sectors. Goodwill SoCal is a rapidly evolving
organization and yet we have never been more focused - on our
mission, on our people, and on our future. It's always a GOOD day
in SoCal! Primary Responsibility / Summary Responsible for the
efficient operation of a Retail Store, Boutique or Attended
Donation Center (ADC), with accountability for the operations
functions. Under the direction of the Site Manager, leads team to
achieve established goals for sales, production, customer service,
payroll, safety and expense control. Closely collaborates with Site
Manager to achieve standards and goals. Goodwill Southern
California greatly values our employees' health and well-being. Per
company Policy, all our employees are required to be fully
vaccinated for COVID-19. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs manager on duty activities as assigned by Site
Manager. Including opening and closing, managerial operations of a
cash register; trains, leads and encourages Ambassadors to meet
goals, providing training and guidance while maintaining
established company standard operating procedures (SOP).
- Provide excellent service, engages with each Ambassador,
customer and donor, while presenting a friendly and cooperative
attitude. Role models, communicates and coaches our Mission and
RISE (Respect, Integrity, Service and Integrity) Values to our
Ambassadors, customers and donors.
- Ensure a safe work environment by maintaining a clean and safe
environment by following all established company standard operating
policies and procedures and exercises caution in work related
- Adheres, coaches and trains Ambassadors on de-escalation
practices regarding the public and proper procedures for loss
- Identifies and communicates concerns, contacting the District
Manager for guidance when the Site Manager is not available.
- Supervisory responsibilities include; training Ambassadors;
planning, assigning, scheduling and directing work; providing input
on performance appraisals; recognizing, developing Ambassadors;
addressing complaints and resolving problems. Follows up on all
assigned projects. Gives corrective feedback under direction of the
- Monitors and maintains salesfloor, production area, structural,
electrical, store equipment, landscaping, housekeeping, loss
prevention and safety to company standards.
- Buying: Trains, evaluates and coaches Ambassadors to process
donated goods meeting quantity, quality and key performance
indicator (KPI) business goals, following established SOPs and
- Ecommerce: Trains, evaluates and coaches Ambassadors to
identify and process ecommerce collectables and other items, luxury
brands and books, to meet goals and established SOPs and
- Ensures accurate capture of donor information, proper sorting
of goods and maintaining safety according to established SOPs and
- Backroom: Ensuring proper procedures are followed to maintain
backroom compliance including, transferring goods, Kaizen, hazmat,
supply storage, purchased product, safety and truck swaps.
- Work flexible shifts; including nights, weekends, holidays and
overtime when needed. May be required to work at a nearby location.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the Truck Swap process and performs necessary
cleaning and janitorial work.
- Attends meetings and training as required. If required to drive
for a work event, you must have a valid CDL and required auto
- Other duties and special projects as assigned. Supervisory
- This job supervises 5-10 ambassadors when acting as
manager-on-duty. Qualifications To perform this job successfully,
an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. Education & Experience
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience in a customer focused
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
College degree helpful.
- Ability to multitask projects of varying scope and complexity
with minimum supervision.
- Ability to share Goodwill's purpose with the public and ask for
monetary donations and customer/donor information.
- Bilingual in Spanish helpful.
- Must be proficient in using computers and other technology
necessary to complete the activities assigned.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook, completing surveys
using electronic platforms in order to complete daily tasks.
- Strong Communication, training, developing and people
- Demonstrated success with process accountability and
multi-tasking. Other Qualifications
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Punctual and dependable attendance.
- Free from alcohol and drug abuse.
- Understands the basic philosophy of Goodwill and participates
fully in carrying out its mission.
- Adheres to Goodwill's values of Respect, Integrity, Service, &
Excellence. English Language Skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to
speak effectively before groups of customers or ambassadors of
organization. Mathematical Skills
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts,
interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area,
circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic
algebra and geometry. Reasoning Ability
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Computer Skills
- Time and Attendance systems
- Microsoft Words, Excel and Outlook
- Some HRIS experience helpful
- POS system
- Personal computers
- Microsoft Outlook
- Daily usage of technology and tracking applications to complete
tasks Physical Demands The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an ambassador to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Normal vision to work with computer, cash register and other
office equipment and abilities to supervise store ambassadors with
or without correction. Work Environment The physical, mental &
environmental conditions in which the work is performed. The work
environment characteristics described are representative of those
an ambassador encounters while performing the essential functions
of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Moderate noise Required Training
- New Hire Orientation
- Supervisory Essentials training
- AB1825: Harassment Prevention training
- Mandated Reporter Values-Based Work Environment Notice Goodwill
Southern California provides a values-based work environment for
our ambassadors. All individuals are expected to support and
promote our values:
- We treat everyone with respect, compassion and inclusion,
recognizing their contributions and differences.
- We conduct business with transparency, integrity and
- We serve, empower and advocate for our clients, community,
business partners and each other.
- We pursue a vision of excellence and continuous improvement to
better the lives of those we serve. The above description is not
intended to be an "all-inclusive" list of the duties and
responsibilities of the job described, nor is it intended to be
such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job.
Rather, it is intended only to describe the general nature of the
job. Pre-Employment TestingDrug ScreenBackground CheckEmployment
VerificationVerification of COVID-19 Vaccinations Goodwill
Industries in Southern California is an equal opportunity employer
and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability or protected veteran status. If you'd like more
information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law,
please click here: Goodwill gives preferential consideration to
persons with barriers to employment. Persons with disabilities are
encouraged to apply. Equal Employment Opportunity Goodwill is
committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for
applicants and employees. Employment decisions will comply with all
applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment including
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination
Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act of
1990, the Immigration and Nationality Act, and any other
characteristic protected by federal or state law. Nondiscrimination
on the Basis of Disabilities In furtherance of our commitment to
end discrimination against qualified disabled individuals, and in
accordance with the provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation
Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and all
regulations properly issued thereunder to protect the rights of
qualified disabled persons, it is Goodwill's policy that no program
or activity administered by it shall exclude from participation,
deny benefits to or subject to discrimination any individual solely
by reason of his or her disability. Equal employment opportunity
will be extended to qualified disabled persons in all aspects of
the employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring,
upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff,
recall and termination. We further affirm that we will provide
reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental
limitations of an otherwise qualified disabled employee or
applicant. It is the policy of Goodwill to provide reasonable
accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are
employees or applicants for employment. If you need assistance for
accommodations to interview because of a disability, please notify
the Human Resources Department. Employment opportunities will not
be denied to anyone because of the need to make reasonable
accommodations for a disability. Other details
- Job Family :Retail
- Pay Type :Hourly
- Hiring Rate :$17.50
Keywords: Goodwill Southern California, Redlands , Retail Operations Manager, Executive , Redlands, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!